If you’ve been driving around in Killeen or Temple, chances are you’ve seen some billboards advertising companies that buy houses. Or maybe signs on telephone poles?
Often times they say things like “We buy Ugly Houses”, “We Buy Killeen Houses!” or “Cash For Your House Fast”.
Are These “We Buy Ugly Houses Companies” Credible?
How do I know if the local house buying companies out there are honest and credible?
Well… sometimes they all look the same at the start… but below we’ll walk you through some things to look for in a local house buying company before you should work with them.
Buying and selling houses is a valid and respectable profession that can help communities and house sellers in many ways. But just like any other line of work – a minority of house buyers in any market are the ones who make the rest of us look bad.
There are people who are really great, ethical folks who improve their neighborhoods one property at a time.
And then there’s shady, dishonest people who put money ahead of the well being of their clients and who just don’t have the integrity or experience to trust with one of the most important decisions you can make. But how do you tell who’s who?!!!
We’ll help you avoid these “shady house buyers” so you can work with honest, ethical, and reputable local companies who can buy your house for a fair all cash offer and close on your schedule and “spoiler alert”, we are one of the good ones 🙂
First, let’s cover exactly what the best house-flippers are doing.
What Reputable Killeen House Buyers Are Doing
- Helping folks improve their lives by accessing the money they need right away. People often need the cash in their house to cover unexpected medical expenses, or to relocate to be close to a relative. We can make that happen in just a few days, and we deliver peace of mind.
- Helping sellers get rid of a burdensome property without the hassle of having to list it with a broker and wait months and month for a sale.
- Creating local jobs. We hire plumbers, contractors, electricians, brokers, title reps, loan officers, administrators and many other folks along the way. The average real estate transaction involves 86 people from start to finish. Our investments help create real jobs for people around Central Texas. We also spend tons of money on materials at local stores.
- Increasing the value of Killeen neighborhoods. When we improve a house, we’re helping to increase the value of the entire community. We often repair abandoned and neglected houses, turning them into beautiful homes for families. That activity strengthens our community.
- Giving homes a second life. A lot of the properties we work with are on the verge of being torn down or similar. We try our best to rejuvenate our houses and bring them back to life for a new family. It’s actually a pretty awesome feeling!
Pretty cool stuff, right?
Lots of people think of house-flipping as a get-rich-quick scheme. a lot of that comes from silly “reality” tv that amps up the drama… because the reality of what we do on a daily basis is actually pretty boring! Most of our work is coordinating with lots of people to make sure things are happening on time. We have to keep track of lots of moving parts, try to create budgets to the most possible and generally create value for our family and those that we work for.
So let’s get back to how you can use this information to find out if someone is a credible investor, and not just pulling a house buying scam.
How To Ensure You’re Working With A Reputable Local House Buyer
When you talk with a local house buyer to potentially buy your house… ask them some of the questions below to ensure they’re reputable, knowledgeable, and honest.
Ask open-ended questions like:
- How do you help your clients?
- What do you do for people?
- Can you tell me more about your services?
- What aspect of your business makes you the proudest?
- How would you describe your investment philosophy?
- How can I know that you’ll close on my house when you say you will?
Second, look for tell tale signs of tactics that those few shady operators tend to use.
- “Kitchen table closings” – If a property buyer tries to get you to sign the deed (ownership) of your house over to them at your house, rather than a professional place like a closing attorney or title company… be leery. Most reputable house buying services will perform the actual closing of the sale at a neutral 3rd party place… like a title company. This ensures everything is done right and on the up and up.
- Pressuring you into a fast closing – If a house buyer tries to pressure you into selling your house and says that you have to make the decision today, be leery. Most reputable house buying services will make you and offer and that offer will be on the table for at least 2-7 days (minimum) for you to make a decision. The reason reputable house buying services like Liberty Home Buyers do place deadlines on our offers is because the market changes and values can change week to week depending on other sales in the area, also… we buy multiple houses a month and when we make you an offer we’re assuring you that the cash to purchase your house is ready and we’ll reserve that cash for several days so if you do want to sell your house, we can close on your schedule. If you feel the offer isn’t a fit for you, then we’ll assign those funds to help another seller with their home sale.
- No look offers – If someone makes you an offer without seeing the house… run! I guarantee there will be issues, re-negotiations, broken promises, etc. This is a tactic to get you locked in to a contract and then beat you up on price. No fun!
Most scammers are looking for a quick score, and not an in-depth interview. Chances are good that they’ll find excuses to get off the phone and move on to someone who doesn’t ask too many questions. True investors who run honest and ethical Killeen house buying services, however, are building long-term businesses based on relationships and community development.
So when you’re looking at one of the “we buy houses in Killeen companies“… never be afraid to ask questions!